Reset Hopper Timings

Corbacraft

FinnTheHobbit

Feb 29, 2020
The Shire
I recently built an Item Sorter for my base, using the classic ImpulseSV design. I set it up correctly, but when I went to test it... To my great surprise, it did not work! After some further testing, I found that the design itself is fine, but the rate at which hoppers move items has been tampered with... again.

Normally, hoppers move one item through one tick at a time. In the past on Corbacraft, this has been upped to three items per tick but then changed back. Now, though, hoppers move items at a rate of eight items per tick! This should change as it breaks SO MANY redstone contraptions, such as item sorters and hopper clocks.
When hopper speeds were upped to 3 ticks, items that weren't sucked up by the hoppers would end up in your overflow chests. But now the renamed item filters, items you put into the system, and items that stay in the hoppers get all jumbled up in each chest. This means that there is no hope of salvaging anything with this horrid 7 tick increase from normal.

To my understanding, the reasoning behind this change is to reduce lag. I counter this argument with the following:
-A slight reduction in lag is not worth breaking key redstone
-There is a better solution, which I will touch on later
-We have seen hopper timings be tampered with and then later changed back in the past, so why the reversal? Lag didn't go through the roof when it was at 1 item per tick, even without the solution I will mention.

Ilmango, a reknown member of the Minecraft community for their redstone, made this video exploring hopper lag. In that video, it is shown that putting droppers on top of hoppers reduces lag! Set the hopper tick speed back to 1 item per tick and require that all applicable hoppers have a dropper be placed on top. This will reduce lag without the cost of ruining countless redstone contraptions.

In conclusion, lag reduction should not come at the cost of breaking key aspects of the game, such as redstone. This is why hopper timings should be reset back to normal! For the lag conscious I have provided a viable alternate solution, so I can't see any reason why this change shouldn't happen!

LB_Firelord

Dec 20, 2019
8 items per tick? Any Redstone machine with hopper is practically broken now! Playing in corbacraft shouldn’t break key aspects of the game like not being able to summon the dragon (which has been fixed) and not being able to use hoppers

Reactions: FinnTheHobbit

Ultra

Dec 15, 2019
There are very simple workarounds to this issue so I don't see why the timings need to be changed considering it is there to reduce lag and only item sorters are overly affected by this and again, you can easily fix it.

FinnTheHobbit

Feb 29, 2020
The Shire
There are very simple workarounds to this issue so I don't see why the timings need to be changed considering it is there to reduce lag and only item sorters are overly affected by this and again, you can easily fix it.
How can you fix this issue, and can you fix all redstone contraptions affected by this change?

Ultra

Dec 15, 2019
How can you fix this issue, and can you fix all redstone contraptions affected by this change?
Two ways to fix the auto sorter issue
This
Fix.png
and this
2020-03-06_13.09.39.png

Some of the filler items will still act strange but it works and other affected things just say and i'll try to find a work around

Ultra

Dec 15, 2019
I tried this system out, but it does not work. And even if it did, I would not use it as it takes up too much space! Although there may be workarounds to some of these issues, the fact stands that these workarounds will come at some detriment, whether it be space, time, efficiency, etc.
What did you put in the hopper as that's probably what causes the issue as it needs to be item to be sorted,1, 2,3,6 filler items or similar as the first hopper will need to have 9 items in order for it to be sorted and it's only one block bigger not like it's 12 blocks long now
2020-03-23_10.59.47.png

Last edited:

Impreza_DK

Jan 14, 2020
I've noticed that all the sorting systems works perfectly on the condition that you only put small amounts of items in at a time. This can be done by using timed dispensers or hoppers. It is also the reason that sorting systems work for iron farms that don't have a constant high output while it does not work for storage systems where most people need stacks upon stacks of the same resource sorted.

I 100% agree that it is annoying that you can't do normal redstone and have to find workarounds which aren't even possible to do for all machines just becauce the server has decided that minimal lag prevention is worth ruining redstone.

Reactions: FinnTheHobbit